One of my private coaching clients asked me this very question a couple of days ago. Her doctor wants her to stay away from ‘unhealthy fats’ and get more omega-3s and other ‘healthful fats’.
‘So what do you DO? You know, at home….without supplementing EVEN MORE?’
We all know that Omega-3 Fatty Acids are healthy and that healthy fats play an important role in optimum health. That said, here are a couple of helpful tid-bits
- The American Heart Association recommends everyone eat fish, especially high fat fish, at least twice a week. This holds true even if you are not at risk for heart disease. Why? Because of the high levels of omega-3 fatty acids.
- A great portion of your brain is made up of fat. Yes – fat. So we need fats, healthy fats.
Extremely low-fat diets don’t work for long-term health. Sure, you can lose a few pounds cutting fat out of your diet, but the question remains – are you jeopardizing optimum health by doing so?
The answer is yes , especially if you are if you are starving your body of essential omega-3 fatty acids. This is why the keto diet (high fat, moderate protein, low carb) has become popular.
Choose your fats wisely. Fats in your diet should come from:
- Flaxseed and Flaxseed Meal.
- Healthy fats, such as Olive Oil.
High fat fish is a terrific source of omega-3 fatty acids!
Wild King Salmon and Sablefish have the highest level of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Wild King Salmon is a great source, offering 2,982 mgs of omega-3 fatty acids in a 6-ounce portion
- Sablefish also known as, Butterfish or Black Cod, is even higher in omega-3s! It offers 3,062 mgs in a 6-ounce serving!
Here are a couple of recipes to get you started packing your diet chock-full of essential omega-3s.
- Try my Salmon Burgers with Cucumber Mint Relish to feed yourself over 2,000 mgs per serving of Omega-3s. These burgers are a fun alternative to a beef burger.
- Sablefish Siciliana is super-easy to prepare and offers 2,519!
How about getting your omega-3’s at breakfast?
- Take a look at my Pumpkin Spice Bread . You’ll be getting over 2,261 mgs of omega-3s in just one slice! That’s the way to go – plus all that healthy fat helps keep you full!
So here are a few ideas on getting omega-3 fatty acids into your diet deliciously.
This Week at Nina Cucina
Since we’re talking about fats take a peek at my article: Trans Fats? Types Of Fat, The Smoke Point Of Fats & Why It’s All Important. It includes a downloadable chart for the smoke point of fats that you can put right on your refrigerator door. It will help you get the most benefit from cooking with the right types of fat.
Recipe of the Week
Probably my absolute favorite fast salad for lunch is my: Fastest Salmon Salad in the West. It’s high in protein (21 grams per serving), only 297 calories and has 1,196 msg of omega-3 fatty acids.